Friday, May 22, 2009

Chapter 2: Learning the Truth


Jesus therefore said to those Jews that had believed him, If ye abide in my word, then are ye truly my disciples; and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. They answered unto him, We are Abraham's seed, and have never yet been in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Every one that committeth sin is the bondservant of sin. And the bondservant abideth not in the house for ever: the son abideth for ever. If therefore the Son shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed" (John 8:31-36).
"Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and standeth not in the trth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof" (John 8:44).
"Ye have not known him: but I know him; and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be like unto you, a liar: but I know him, and keep his word" (John 8:55).
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, and the truth, and the life" (John 14:6).
"The Spirit of truth: whom the world cannot receive; for it beholdeth him not, neither knoweth him: ye know him; for he abideth with you, and shall be in you" (John 14:17).
"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall bear witness of me" (John 15:26).
"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold down the truth in unrighteousness" (Romans 1:18).
"For that they exchanged the truth of God for a lie . . ." (Romans 1:25).
"If so be that ye heard him, and were taught in him, even as truth is in Jesus" (Ephesians 4:21).
"Put on the new man, which after God hath been created in righteousness and holiness of truth" (Ephesians 4:24).
"These things saith he that is holy, he that is true" (Revelation 3:7).
"These things saith the Amen (=Verily), the faithful and true witness" (Revelation 3:14).
In our previous meditation, we were speaking together about the School of Christ, and we were saying that every true child of God is brought into the School of Christ under the hand of the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of the anointing, and that there the first great work of the Holy Spirit is to present Christ to the heart as God's object for all the Holy Spirit's dealings with us. Thus Christ is first of all presented and attested by God as the object of His pleasure, and then the Holy Spirit makes known the Divine purpose in connection with that inward revelation of the Lord Jesus, namely, that we should be conformed to the image of God's Son. Then we were speaking about two or three basic lessons in the school, things which underlie our education. Firstly, the Holy Spirit takes pains to make all who are uner this discipline (for that is the meaning of a disciple) to know in experience, in an inward way in their own hearts, the altogether 'other-ness' of Christ from themselves. Then He also works to bring us to the place where we realize how impossible the situation is apart from miracles of God, that of ourselves we can never be like Christ. The one upshot of it all is that this must be something outside ourselves which is God's own doing.
Well, this is all preliminary in the School of Christ, although it seems to me that this preliminary education goes on to the end of our days. At any rate, it seems to be spread over a great deal of our life, though there should be a point reached which represents a definite crisis in the matter, at which a foundation is laid wherein these three things are recognized and accepted, and we shall not get very far until it is so. The person who really does begin to move is the person who has had his final despair over himself, and has come to see quite clearly by the Holy Spirit's illumination that it is "no longer I, but Christ" -- 'Not what I am, O Lord, but what Thou art, that, that alone, can be my soul's true rest': Thy love, not mine; Thy peace, not mine; Thy rest, not mine; Thy everything, nothing of mine: Thyself! That is the essential foundation of spiritual growth, spiritual knowledge, spiritual education.
The School of Christ - T. Austin-Sparks
Me: I love this page, because it gets to the heart of what my problem was. I used to be on a roller coaster of determining in my mind and heart that I was going to do better, be better. Then slumping when I didn't actually get better. Then determining again. Up and down. When God said to me, "But Debbie, There is NOW no condemnation to those who are IN Christ Jesus.", that was my final despair. That was about four months ago, and no more ups and downs. I'm not perfect; I haven't even changed very much outwardly yet, but I know God is doing a work in me. I know Christ is in me and my life has changed, dramatically, for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment